Thursday, July 17, 2014

Cluck-Cluck Rick Rack Jumper

Little did I know when I was commissioned by Sew Beautiful Magazine to create a garment using Rick Rack for the Back to School Issue, that it would be my very last article and the end of an era for the magazine. 
It was a bittersweet day when my preview issues arrived...and difficult opening the box to take a peek at the last issue...ever. Altho it is sad to see the end of Sew Beautiful Magazine, I am confident that Heirloom Sewing and Smocking will be kept alive by those of us who thrive on it. I am also optimistic that there will be future publications along with current sewing blogs, that will keep us inspired to sew!  
The idea for the Rick Rack came from Pinterest and to my knowledge has never been published, altho there is a small blog post in a foreign language showing the one photo. That small photo clip of the embellishment really caught my eye. I couldn't tell what the original creator had put the embellishment on...perhaps it was a kitchen towel or maybe a table cloth. I immediately saved the idea on my Pinterest board as I thought it would be darling on the hem of a dress. When I was commissioned by Sew Beautiful Magazine to create something using Rick Rack, I knew that the readers of the magazine would go crazy over this unique use of Rick Rack.

The article in the magazine has all the instructions on how to create this darling embellished rick rack hem. I also used Rick Rack on the sweet pocket!
I used Children's Corner Pattern "Lucy" for the jumper.
On the yellow blouse, I used some sweet picot edging with the piping on the collar and sleeve edge.
Fabric for the jumper is denim and the blouse is yellow broadcloth. All fabric and supplies were purchased from Farmhouse Fabrics. I lined the jumper in a tartan plaid and if I would have had more time, I would have made the jumper reversible - perhaps it will be something I will do at a later date. I left the seam open inside so that I could easily add an embellishment to make this jumper reversible! 
I hope that Cluck-Cluck has inspired you with this unique Rick Rack embellishment!

3 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

The cluck clucks are too cute for words!

LJ said...

Adorable! Love the outfit and the ric rac trim ideas are spendid.

ZHOBEYDA said...

HOLA, COMO STAS? TUS TRABAJOS SON HERMOSO, TE FELICITO, QUE DIOS BENDIGA TU CREATIVIDAD.. AHORA TE SIGO, VISITAME TAMBIÉN, SIEMPRE SERAS BIENVENIDA.. ANÍMATE.. BESOS, ABRAZOS Y BENDICIONES.
ZHOBEYD@....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails