Tuesday, January 28, 2014

{Winter Rose} Chevron Blanket Stitch - a little tute!

As always, I am so very honored to have my designs featured in my favorite heirloom sewing magazine, Sew Beautiful. My Winter Rose Smocked Coat was featured in Issue No. 151, which hit the newsstands back in October of 2013.
There are so many details with this little coat that I want to share with you and one of them is the Chevron Blanket Stitch that I created on the edges of the collar and cuffs.
I can't say that I have ever done the Chevron Blanket Stitch before. I was working my design from a vintage garment, so I had to do some research first to figure out what stitch it actually was and then how to create it. I found a wonderful tutorial at the Purl Bee.
I used Perle Cotton #8 {anyone that knows me well, knows that I LOVE using Perle Cotton #8 in smocking!}...it seemed to be the perfect weight of thread for this little project on the Ivory Wool Challis fabric.
Keeping your stitches consistent is the key in this stitch! You basically start with a basic blanket stitch. You are then going to take a 2nd stitch in the exact same hole as your previous stitch, however, you will offset it at the top about 1/16th of an inch. You will then take a 3rd stitch in the exact same hole and offset it again 1/16th of an inch at the top. This will create the darling little chevron!
Isn't it beautiful? It adds so much beauty to the edge of anything that is just otherwise plain. Notice the difference it makes on the sleeve cuff in the upper right corner photo above!
I hope you have enjoyed the little details of "Winter Rose"...more details of this sweet little coat will be coming to my Sewing Journal soon!

2 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

Any tricks to keeping the stitches evenly spaced?

Farm Gate Creations said...

Very beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails